Business Computer Use IS-120
Term: Winter 2015
Methods of Instruction:
This course will be a mixture of hands on, lecture, and research. The student will be exposed to a variety of subjects through the use of multimedia, the Internet, and interaction with other students.
Quizes: Approximately one quiz will be given per week. These will occur during the first five minutes of class. I will drop the lowest quiz --
There will be no make-up Quiz.
Students are expected to attend classes and be prompt so as not to interrupt once the class is underway. We understand that foul weather can cause unexpected delays, but please try to be considerate of your classmates.
If you are absent, borrow someone's notes and go over what we covered. If you still don't understand, then see me. Don't expect me to repeat everything we did in class individually for each person who is absent.
I will take roll at least one time per week.
1. Work independently in the computer environment, observe computer screens for details.
2. Look for sources of help in computing software by using help tools
3. Complete projects in a timely manner
4. Use computer terminology accurately and understand use of terms in advertising, technical literature, etc.
5. Act ethically in a computer environment. Understand the harm of viruses, computer theft, etc.
6. Utilize self-paced learning software
7. Realize that much of computer learning is by trial and error
8. Understand word processing, spreadsheet, database, graphical and internet processes and concepts.
9. Students will learn the basis for computer operation, numeric and character coding schemes, binary mathematics, and computer architecture.
10. Students will learn that computing is an ever changing discipline that requires continual study.
Grades are based on a combination of quizzes, exams, homework assignments and a project created in Visual Basic. Below is a table of the grade legend that will be used. You are also expected to have an email account which you check on a regular basis for class updates.
Percentage Grade Numeric Grade Letter Grade
I encourage students to have a “buddy” in each class. This is someone with whom you can work, discuss reading assignments, test your ideas, and bolster each other’s spirits. However, please take note of the conditions listed below.
1) Any student who, for the purpose of fulfilling or partially fulfilling any assignment or task required by the faculty as part of the student’s program of instruction, shall knowingly tender any work product that the student fraudulently represents to the faculty as the student’s work product, shall be deemed to have cheated. Cheating shall be cause for disciplinary action.
2) Any student who aids or abets the accomplishments of cheating as defined in subsection 1) of this section, shall also be subject to disciplinary action.
Misuse of Computer Privileges
Current Assignments for Course:
Grade based on the following:
These assignments will be assigned in class
Note: Subject to changes announced in class.
Weekly schedule of events.
Complete reading before week noted!